Thursday, August 7, 2008

Blueberries : when my heart bit mellow

I tempted to join Tuesday With Dorrie (TWD) – a weekly baking challenge. Then I think again. Those challenge is not difficult but just need dedication. Every week we’ve try one of the recipe at Dorie’s book Baking : From Home to Yours. Although I’ve got the book but to do rigorously and ritually experiment to bake can be quite daunting for me.

As beginner I love to try everything that consider the way of exploring many possibilities. I do adore Dorie but I am willing to try another recipes from different chef as well as part of my learning process. I am bit fickle actually; want to try many things at once. And suddenly ‘wush’, that’s could be gone. Losing interest because mount household to do. I am in middle of writing a book (oh two actually while one is photo book), so time management said I wouldn’t have spacious room to do more.

Also I am thinking to study further, might back to my root into design rather than to motorway. Again I’ve been turned down by the University because the subject I’d like not for international students; although lot more challenges than “normal” design course. Talked about it with Mr. C, we came to decision to hold for another 6 month. Yeah, this week can be so blue for me.

This muffin just to give me remedy after those overlay thought. It’s easy, not related with any gadget at all. I surprised to realise that this can be done in matter less than an hour.

Blueberries always had been work with muffin. It’s traditional in any western baking. The texture of blueberries when it cooked filled the batter into gooey and melt blue juice. Best to keep blueberries is freeze until you’ve need it. I put in cooking sheet about an hour two then transfer into plastic box. It made frozen process more individual fruit than whole batch.

I don’t have buttermilk, so as on the book said that I can replace with plain yougurt (2/3 cup) and whole milk (1/3) in one cup buttermilk. As the recipe less than that I am not bother to put 1 cup portion than ¾ cup. I run out of honey in pantry, then I changed it with organic maple syrup.

I am pleased with the result. It has sourness and light sweet that blend nicely with evening Yorkshire tea. Even though my heart bit blue, but this muffin just made my mind away.




Orange Berry Muffins

Baking: From My Home to Yours (Dorie Greenspan)

Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
About 3/4 cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt and whole milk)
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons honey (or organic maple syrup)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries - fresh, preferably, or frozen (not thawed)

Decorating sugar, for topping (optional) > I am using demerara sugar

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

Pour the orange juice into a large glass measuring cup or a bowl and pour in enough buttermilk to make 1 cup. Whisk in the eggs, honey and melted butter.

In a large bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of orange strong. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough - the batter will be lumpy and bubbly, and that’s just the way it should be. Stir in the blueberries. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. If you want to top the muffins with decorating sugar, sprinkle on the sugar after the muffins have baked for 10 minutes. When fully baked, the tops of the muffins will be golden and springy to the touch and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins will come out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

text taken from eatmedelicious

3 comments:

Rita said...

Hi ambar salam kenal bluberry muffinnya yummy deh keliatannya...

ambaradventure said...

thanks rita, baru belajar nih. Makasih dah mampir ya

A.G said...

weh blueberry muffin mini.. asyik sak emplokan.. imoet banget ;)